Alfred Nobel The Man Behind The Peace Prize

“Alfred Nobel The Man Behind The Peace Prize” is a picture book written by Kathy-Jo Wargin and illustrated by Zachary Pullen. I think that this book is directed to kids older than normal picture books would be directed too, I think kids around the age of 9 or 10 would like this book because gunpowder and the 1st peace prize is a topic I think only that kids older than around 9 or 10 could probably understand.

The story is about Alfred Nobel creating nitroglycerin and dynamite. His brother dies while working with dynamite and Alfred wants to make nitroglycerin safe to work with. He announces that he re invented dynamite and it is safer to work with. He thought that dynamite would prevent war, he thought if people were scared from it they would end things peacefully. He was very shocked to find out that dynamite was being used for purposes to harm people. In the newspaper it says that Alfred Nobel has died from a heart attack, this turned out be actually be Alfred’s brother. When people started saying that Alfred got wealth from making things to hurt people, he became very sad. He died in Italy and was buried in France. People after made a prize to award people who do something to create peace. It is called the Nobel Peace Prize.

I think that the book was very well written and the illustrations are very creative and look like someone used a paintbrush to draw all of the pictures.